Support Forum

1. Add Esc and Control

If the keyboard API allows it, add an Esc and Control key. Primarily this would be for Prompt SSH client. I understand if the third party keyboard API is missing hooks for it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

Yes, both Control and Command keys were in the original design, but the APIs provide no support for them, unfortunately. We have requested Apple add it, and it might help if you do so as well, since the more people they hear from the better. We do hope that as Apple is now starting to see the iPad as more than a video and game machine that they will start to add more facilities like this for app developers.

-Adrian
    PadKeys Support

2. Backspace key (upper right) needs to be larger

With my fat fingers I keep hitting the bracket key when I want to make a correction. I would forego the brackets to get a larger backspace key.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Some people complain it’s too large, some too small. We went for the ‘L’ in the US layout as a compromise. It IS too small on European layouts, but the extra keys needed on these mean there is no room to expand it.

3. Show spelling errors only, no auto-correct or suggestions

I'm using KeyPad since quite a while and like it a lot. The only thing I don't like is the way it handles corrections. I don't like auto-correct, and I don't like this Suggestion-beam, taking up space on top of my keyboard. I would like to just have the standard red wavy line under spelling errors Without this suggestion beam) - please! Thanks, Bernd

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Unfortunately Apple / iOS provides us no access to the actual text area you are typing into so we cannot draw red underlines or anything else. If you’d just like to turn off the PadKeys Suggestions bar regardless, go into PadKeys settings and switch autocorrect to corrections-only or off.

4. Alternate compressed key layout

Using Pages in landscape view, there is only a small workspace left. Suggestions to solve this: an alternate bit more compressed key layout with the same measurement as iPad Apple original keys. An unsolved problem is the autocorrect function. I think only Apple is allowed to integrate it into the function bar...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

Unfortunately providing the extra row of keys prevents us from offering as short of a layout as the system keyboard, without compromising ergonomics.

What we DO recommend is to turn off Apple’s shortcut bar by selecting the system keyboard, then holding down your finger on the Globe key, and then sliding to and releasing over the “Shortcuts” switch. This will leave you with only slightly less room then the default system keyboard, since our own shortcut bar is shorter than Apple’s.

Unfortunately Apple does not provide us access to use the system bar ourselves, so we have added Paste and Undo/Redo buttons to our own bar and recommend turning the system bar off as just described. You will lose the extra “toolbar” functionality Apple offers in some of its own apps, however until Apple offers third-party access to the bar, this is a limited loss. And once they provide…

5. Please make a free trial version

I just tend to be really harsh on apps (just too many bad ones out there) and I would like to try this app before spending the $4.99 and end up with something that I use for 30 seconds, leaving bad feedback and then deleting. Having a free version would really help.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We fully sympathize with this.

Unfortunately Apple does not provide a good solution for this now. We would need to make either a dumbed-down free version or an in-app-purchase driven version. In either case, we’ve still got the problem that whatever doesn’t come for free must still be tried out only after payment.

In addition, distaste for the whole free download (and your personal information is the product) plus in-app-purchase philosophy aside, dividing features and/or apps like this would consume our resources that we’d rather put towards improving the keyboard.

Please send feedback to Apple requesting that they add a time-limited trial feature.

6. Make PadKeys fully work with Chrome Remote Desktop

Hi,
    Special keys such as arrows and tab do not work in Chrome Remote Desktop, it's a pity since those are pretty much very important when remote controlling a computer from the iPad.

Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello,

This is something that would need to be done by the app developer. Please ask them to get in touch with us if they need more information how to fix it.

Thanks!

7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

PadKeys’ own row can be turned off in its Settings. Unfortunately, neither PadKeys nor any other third-party keyboard is able to access or show Apple’s internal autocorrect/suggestions facilities. The bar itself is shown (unless you’ve turned it off), but you’ll get only the undo/redo buttons and whatever the app you are using adds.

8. Underline misspelled words

Show up red spell checking waves below wrong word

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately, Apple’s programming interface does not allow us to do this. Third party keyboards have very limited ways they can interact with the rest of the system.

9. Transparency option

Transparency setting would be useful since the screen wont move up when typing like the apple keyboard.

Also a shrink space bar for a Delete button option?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is due to an iOS bug with screen adjustment for third-party keyboards taller than default. Unfortunately keyboards are not allowed to use transparency so we cannot work around this as suggested. We DO offer a “short mode” though which will make PadKeys shorter than the system keyboard and avoid the problem. Just long-press the keyboard-away key while in landscape to switch to short mode.

10. Use shift + arrow keys to select (for copy / paste actions)

Use shift + arrow keys to select (for copy / paste actions)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but although we would love to do this, Apple/iOS does not provide third-party keyboards any way to tell the app what text to select.

As we always say with this sort of issue, please let Apple know directly that you’d like to see this functionality. We’ve already submitted an enhancement request, but the more people they hear from the more likely they’ll consider it something worth doing. Thanks!

11. Full stop on French keyboard

I've just bought the app and as I often use a French keyboard, the inclusion of the commonly accented characters as discrete keys is a great facility. However, it seems that to enter a full stop you need to use Shift. Double tapping doesn't seem to work. As full stops are used regularly this seems a bit odd.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

As we’ve said elsewhere, it is not our intention to innovate the keyboard layout. We take the PadKeys layouts straight from Apple’s Macbook keyboards, which you can see on this page (including French):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201794

I can’t really speak to WHY the period requires a shift in the French layout, but we assume people are used to it.

However, please let us know if the Apple page is wrong / outdated, or if there is some other reason we should not be using the published Macbook layout in this case.

12. spanish keyboard should have no ç

that is a portuguese character
    please substitute with ;
    kind regards

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    not for now  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →