How can we make PadKeys better?

Would it be possible to separate the selection of a language and the selection of a keyboard layout?

On my PC, I type in 3 languages, German, English and Dutch. But I only use my German hardware keyboard for all languages. Switching keyboard layouts is confusing and slows typing speed. If I could leave my PadKeys layout, while changing the language and preselect the layout in settings, it would be very helpful.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Harry Zwarthoed shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    input requested  ·  AdminPadKeys (Support, PadKeys) responded  · 

What you are saying makes sense, and would not be hard to implement. However the trick is to keep the configuration simple for the user. It starts to feel clunky when you are having to select layout and language separately.

One idea might be to have an “override layout” selector which if unset (the default) leaves behavior as now. If it IS set, that layout always takes precedence, and only the language changes when selecting by the regular mechanism.

How does this sound? It would be preferrable not to even add this one additional selector, but I cannot think of any simpler way.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas Schewe commented  · 

I have the same Problem here. I write in German and English and I don't want to switch the layout, cause I slows me down.

It somehow works with the Apple virtual keyboards (I am now writing with the German layout (the one QWERTZ w/o äöü, and don't ask me again, why I want to use PadKeys). I don't switch the language and autocorrection still works for *both* languages.

I have no idea, how you can implement it in an elegant way.

Your proposal sounds somehow good, but how will the language-switching work? A second entry in the list of keyboard? Or will it be necessary to "slide" to the PadKey settings and change it there? This would be pita.

Feedback and Knowledge Base