How can we make PadKeys better?

Two finger "scrolling"

Great app! I noticed with the new iOS 9 update, the cursor could be controlled by two fingers, making it easier than pressing arrow keys or holding the cursor. Is it possible to include this in the next update of padkeys?

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Orion SakornOrion Sakorn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    not for now  ·  PadKeysAdminPadKeys (Support, PadKeys) responded  · 

For now we recommend using the system keyboard to access this functionality, because:

- iOS provides no way to reliably implement vertical or larger scale movement, and

- iOS provides us with no way to adjust the text selection, and

- Actual cursor keys (holding opt to move quickly by words) provide better control for moving anyway than video-game-like swipe-to-move features.

If there are any changes on Apple’s side we will revisit this idea though.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BillBill commented  · 

On the developer side, I'm mot sure if apple made this easy or not, but adding a feature like apple's cursor gliding (activated by two fingers on the ipad or force pres on the iphone) would be greatly appreciated. The cursor buttons are nice, but not too helpful when I'd like to glide my cursor to another precise spot on the entire page. If no such api exists maybe a similar feature could be designed?

• daledale commented  · 

Orion,

I just learned something new by reading your comment. To the PadKeys folks, pleas add another vote for this functionality.

Dale

• PadKeysAdminPadKeys (Support, PadKeys) commented  · 

Hi,

We personally prefer the easier control cursor keys offer, especially when you can also skip between words by holding the option key. That said, we'd love to add two-finger movement as well. The problem at the moment is iOS does not give us much in the way of hooks to duplicate their functionality. The best we could do is to simply move the cursor some number of positions left or right depending on which way you scroll. No up/down, no floating cursor indicator, and likely not as smooth as the system version.

We'll experiment with this, but in the meantime it would be nice to know how many are interested in this functionality. Please vote or comment if you are. Thanks!

• Orion SakornOrion Sakorn commented  · 

Sorry, what I meant was you can control the cursor if you use two fingers and pan around on the keyboard itself.

Feedback and Knowledge Base