Support Forum

How can we make PadKeys better?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. spacebar hold/move cursor

Great keyboard...probably the first Ive seen that's actually worth losing the dictation button... I've seen in a couple of other keyboards that you can hold the spacebar down and move your finger left or right to move the cursor. Think that would be a great option for precision moving.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There seems to be significant interest in this and we will add it if we can figure out how to do it without compromise. Right now, holding down the space bar and NOT moving gives you repeated spaces, which is often useful. The risk is that adding the cursor move capability causes it to get triggered accidentally, either when doing this or just quickly typing single spaces. We’ve used several keyboards where this can be very annoying. And no, we don’t want to add an option. :-) We’ll explore this further.

Please help us understand the use case though. Is it that you want to move farther than the cursor keys let you conveniently move?

Thanks.

• Split Keyboard

I love using the split keyboard capability of the iOS keyboard; however, I love your layout much better. Please consider a split keyboard feature.

23 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Would it be possible to separate the selection of a language and the selection of a keyboard layout?

On my PC, I type in 3 languages, German, English and Dutch. But I only use my German hardware keyboard for all languages. Switching keyboard layouts is confusing and slows typing speed. If I could leave my PadKeys layout, while changing the language and preselect the layout in settings, it would be very helpful.

14 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

What you are saying makes sense, and would not be hard to implement. However the trick is to keep the configuration simple for the user. It starts to feel clunky when you are having to select layout and language separately.

One idea might be to have an “override layout” selector which if unset (the default) leaves behavior as now. If it IS set, that layout always takes precedence, and only the language changes when selecting by the regular mechanism.

How does this sound? It would be preferrable not to even add this one additional selector, but I cannot think of any simpler way.

• brackets

Can we have ( ) style brackets on the msin keyboard rather than [ ]?

I think ? Might be more useful than / too

Thanks

11 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

We’re interested to hear more feedback on this, but… One of the main motivations behind PadKeys is to avoid the need for learning special layouts. The thought is that the advantages of having those keys available without Shift is actually outweighed by the hesitations caused by having a different layout from the one present in hardware keyboards everywhere.

Even something that may seem an obvious win like a “.com” key, which saves 3 keystrokes when typing in a URL, is of unclear benefit when you have to stop and hunt around for it, it takes up space that could be used for making larger letter keys, and it doesn’t help when typing in .de, .net, .org, or the site name itself.

Of course, none of these arguments hold for users more used to phones than regular computers. But PadKeys is not trying to be a keyboard for everyone,…

• German Keyboard without äöü-keys

Apple ships four German Layouts with the iPad. The one I prefer is QWERTZ, which has no keys for ä, ö and ü. This layout is similar to the iPhone and makes it easier to switch between the devices.

I miss this layout in padkeys.

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Lock the globe

Often hit the globe by mistake and fumble to get back to PadKeys, can you lock it so a long press is needed to change?

6 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

We can consider this, however:

- It slows down the use case where you often switch to an emoji keyboard, or to Apple’s (to get dictation button).
                - It operates differently from the Globe on the Apple keyboard, so many users may have a hard time finding it, and/or Apple itself might reject the app.

I wonder if there would be any alternatives, maybe moving the Globe, or delaying the tap effect just enough on that key to avoid the accidental triggering during typing?

• A top row switch key

I noticed that we have two backspaces which is kind of unnecessary in my opinion. What if that backspace key on the bottom left was replaced by a key that you can use to switch between the numeric top row and the shortcut bar for all your copying and pasting needs? I personally find it a pretty nifty idea and I wonder what you think about it.

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

Well, some people DO like having the forward delete, but it’s not for everyone so we have thought about making that a customizable key. But for now we’ve been holding off in the name of keeping things simple.

As far as the shortcut bar, we are unfortunately not able to access or turn on/off Apple’s own shortcut bar. However in the next PadKeys version we will be including undo, redo, and paste buttons in our own suggestions bar. We hope this will make it more feasible for iOS 9 users to turn the Apple shortcut bar off completely to gain the extra space. (And of course iOS 8 users will benefit from the functionality which isn’t available at all otherwise.)

Other peoples’ thoughts are welcome.

• Swiss German Keyboard

add swiss german keyboard layout

5 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are probably going to do this but have been trying to fully get the newly-introduced phone layouts fully settled and debugged first. Sorry about the delay.

For reference, we currently understand the main differences of Swiss German from German keyboard to be:

- Put French é,à,è in place of Ö,Ä,Ü
                    - Remove ß (or possibly put a special ‘ss’ key in place of it
                    - Add ç
                    - Largely different shifted number row

• Speed it up!

The swype function is WAY too slow. Coming from android too ios, it can't seem too keep up during regular speed swiping. Disappointing.

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could you be specific as to WHAT is slow, and maybe give an example word and the language where you see this? Also what type of device do you use?

In our testing on the slowest devices the animation follows the finger basically immediately and the suggestions appear instantaneously after the swipe is completed. There does not seem to be anything we would need to speed up. Note that we do NOT attempt to show suggestions DURING the swipe.

Thanks!

• Make Basic Characters More Accessible

Use the OPTION key for access to apostrophes, quotation and exclamation marks, parentheses, regular as well as m and n dashes, dollar signs and a DELETE key, along with CHANGE CASE keys...ALL being the characters most frequently used moment-by-moment for texting messages and emails.

There comes a point where too many features... "cooks in the kitchen," so to speak—or characters, in this case—ruin the day-to-day practicality of the "soup" in your app.

Sincerely,
                      Peter Donoso

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

The suggestion is to replace some of the Greek, mathematical, and other symbols on the Opted layout on iPhone with standard punctuation characters, so, for example, you don’t need Opt and Shift to get the secondary symbols under K and L in the US English layout.

Please vote for this issue if you would like this, thanks!

• include (sic) option in predictive text

There are times when I don't want to go with any of the options given to me on the predictive text bar: I'm fine with what I've typed in and don't want to replace it with the recommended word (the one colored blue) — or any of the other words on the bar, for that matter — but I also don't want to keep the recommended word from being recommended in the future, the way the “×” option does. This is particularly a problem with “i”: I cannot type “i.e.” without getting “I. e.” or losing the ability to have…

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The problem you mention is an annoying one. But I’m not sure about solving it by taking up a slot on the suggestions row for (typed) or “typed” every time there is an auto-suggestion. The constant presence of that item is one of the things I hate about other keyboards. Is there any other way we could address this issue?

• Case change and shift options

1) Four CASE CHANGE options would be HUGE!!!
                          2) Lock for numerical alt characters...as in making quotes and 3 successive exclamations—" !!! "—easy breezy.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Smaller text on keys on ipad

When using PadKeys on an iPad, it would be great, if there was a couple of options in 'preferences' to set the smaller size to text for the keys. Also, it would be great, if in addition to 'Long-press' access to 'shifted' symbols, the access was available by hold-swipe down, similar to the system iOS keyboard. This would make for a faster workflow. Thanks.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

We already offer swipe UP for access to shifted variant on the symbol keys. Are you saying you would like this on letters as well, or that you’d prefer down to up?

As far as keycap font, we’ll offer a “small-label” theme if enough users are interested, just like the current “bold” theme provides a way to have bold keycaps.

• Add the ability to remove words added to the dictionary

I just downloaded this yesterday, and I already have 'walkwd' as a permanent word in my dictionary. It would be great to be able to remove that word instead of having it show up each time I need to walk somewhere. Please add the ability to remove words from the autocorrect dictionary.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

As you imply accidental “words” are going to show up in the dictionary as PadKeys learns words that are typed. However as long as you don’t actually use these words going forward they will migrate further and further right on the suggestions bar until they disappear. If it really seems like this process is too slow, let us know, but it’s our aim for the user NOT to need to take direct action themselves.

• 3 issues

Love the idea of this, but PadKeys needs definite improvements. The number row is so short I'm constantly hitting letters below. Also, the spell check row is too short on height as well. So I look up and my sentence is jibberish. It would also help to have the most common suggestions in the center working outwards instead of to the left where it's harder to see and further away from where your eye naturally goes. Lastly, the delete button is funky. It needs to be a square not some "tetras shape" where I'm constantly getting a bracket symbol mixed…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback.

Please, when submitting a layout request, mention whether you are primarily using iPhone or iPad, and portrait or landscape mode. These are all different layouts! Thanks.

As far as delete key on the iPad US English layout, if you are hitting the brackets, just use the “square” portion above there and ignore the lower limb :-) Seriously, we used the inverted L to make the largest and most edge-occupying key we could given other layout constraints. Making it smaller wouldn’t make it easier.

• iPhone: Move backspace to low position

On the iPhone, move the backspace key to the first or second row like it is on the system keyboard.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi, putting this idea on the forum so we can find out how many people prefer the backspace in one place or the other.

Currently it is in the top row. GOOD because it’s like other (non-phone) keyboards and allows the punctuation keys to be in their normal places. BAD because it makes backspace harder to hit and the keyboard is harder to get used to from other phone keyboards.

We could move it to the bottom row. GOOD because it’s like phone keyboards that people are used to, and allows the backspace to be easily hit. BAD because it’s different from standard keyboards and would move the punctuation keys to a strange, hard-to-hit place.

If opinions are split we might consider making it an option, but options make the keyboard more complicated to configure (and many users never open Settings) and to maintain.

• Relocate the bracket and braces keys to some other location and make the backspace key wider

The backspace key is not wde enough as has not been wide enough for quite some time, now.
                                    I am always accidentally hitting the closet bracket key all the time.
                                    Move the bracket/braces keys to some other location and make the backspace key wider

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

In the latest release (4.2.2) we increased sensitivity at the edge of the keyboard, so it should be possible to tap more confidently away from the brackets and have the presses register. Hopefully this will reduce the chances of accidentally hitting the brackets.

• Don't see your idea?

Support Forum

Feedback and Knowledge Base